Terms of Reference (TOR)
(Developing an Institutional Strengthening System for the CSOs)
Call for Bidding
Improving Local Development Dynamics (ILDD)
- Deadline for receiving offer: – 29th May 2021
- The bidding for individual’s consultant and consultancy firms
- Documents to be submitted: –
- Technical and financial Offer for the study.
- Agency or company C.V (information about the company and research team).
- V of the leading team.
- Copy of Commercial register.
- Copy of tax card.
- Copy of VAT certification.
- Soft or hard copies sent to: –
- Hard copy: – by courier to address:
Om Habibeh Foundation – EL Sadat road, opposite of Dr. Soliman Hospital, Aswan
- Soft copy: – to e-mail address: –
- For further technical inquiries please contact: –
- With copying:
Om Habibeh Foundation (OHF) presents an action entitled Improving Local Development Dynamics (ILDD). The overall objective of the Action is to support the European Commission’s objective to strengthen Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and Local Authorities (LAs) by enhancing the role and effectiveness of 36 civil societies organizations (CSOs) and (LAs) to deliver inclusive and gender responsive development services in villages in four districts of Aswan governorate: Kom Ombo, Daraw, Aswan, and Edfu.
Significant long-term investment in local CSO capacity in Aswan have enabled OHF to make a shift from working at the individual and organisational level, to the development ecosystem. Since 2007, OHF has worked with CSOs in Aswan to strengthen their capacities to better serve communities. The Action builds on OHF’s successful work in CSO-LA strengthening, in partnership with the European Commission — Strengthening the Capacity and Role of (CSOs) in Egypt (SCR-CSO) — in the districts of Kom Ombo and Aswan which invested in strengthening CSO governance, engaged communities in the development of participatory Village Development Plans (VDP), and established federations to coordinate village level activities.
The overall objective of this assignment is to strengthen the capacity of the 36 CSOs in the specific areas where weaknesses have been identified through the conducted Organisational Capacity Assessments (OCA) and the applyed the Organizational Performance Index (OPI) by OHF – ILDD team in the four districts of Aswan governorate: Kom Ombo, Daraw, Aswan, and Edfu.
- Targeted audience: (in case of training)
- CSOs board members, women committees, and other staff such as finance and executive director.
- Scope of work:
Within the scope of the assignment, the consultant is expected to provide consultancy services for the below listed activities:
- To have a preliminary analysis of the results of the (OCA) and the applied the (OPI) with each participating 36 CSOs by OHF – ILDD team
- To provide progress reports on the institutional strengthening action plan for 36 CSOs, including achievements, problems, and recommendations. These progress working reports should be submitted according to the timeline mentioned below.
- To provide technical support to strengthen the capacity of the 36 CSOs in the specific areas where weaknesses have been identified through the conducted OCA (OPI) with each participating 36 CSOs.
- Develop a capacity strengthening plan that must include:
- Mentoring sessions to the CSOs board members
- Tracking of progress on individualized Institutional Strengthening Plans (ISP)
- Identifying the capacity building trainings that the CSOs’ board members need that will enhance their skills.
- Build a lasting infrastructure in the CSOs that will transcend changes in management or staff and continue after the end of the Action. This lasting infrastructure must include a well-established system that consists of all the required policies, procedures and forms that should be used by the CSOs’ board members in performing all their day-to-day tasks efficiently and effectively.
- The developed system should include the following and more if needed based on the assessments, OCA and OPI results:
Spreadsheets samples of all the required data bases
A well-developed log frame with clear indicators
Required tools for data collection.
Procedure of collecting data.
Procedure of developing indicators
Meeting minutes samples
Required evaluation forms.
Organisation’s review of cost efficiency of program services
Operational or work plans that detail how the organisation is scaling up breadth and/or depth of services.
Completed monitoring spreadsheet and/or database showing that output level targets have been met.
A sample of a log for documenting the workshops and the different activities of the CSOs.
Memorandum of understanding guidelines – samples
Reference letters samples
Performance appraisal procedures and forms
Gender equality policy
Gender equality action plan
HR policies and procedures
- Develop SOPs to ensure data quality that meet expectations of reviewers.
- All the conducted activities should be gender sensitive and gender responsive.
- Integrate gender in the developed Institutional Strengthening plan and system.
- Roles and responsibilities of OHF
OHF will provide the following:
- OHF reserves the right and will conduct its own monitoring checks on a portion of the conducted activities by the consultant If checks do not meet quality standards regarding integrity of results and findings, OHF will reserve its right to request a repetition of work or the option of declining payment (being reimbursed for any initial payment).
- The consultant and all related personnel/members of the monitoring team will not be accompanied by OHF staff members. However, the consultant and all related personnel need to subscribe to respecting the core values of OHF of diversity and inclusion, integrity, and commitment.
- It is an absolute requirement of OHF and a condition of this agreement that no person or body who/which carries out work on OHF’s behalf pursuant to this agreement is or has been or becomes in any way involved in or associated with the abuse or exploitation of vulnerable groups as described in the global safeguarding manual of OHF that will be provided for successful candidate.
- The consultant carries the sole responsibility for all related personnel and needs to ensure that an appropriate systems and procedures are in place to deal with any complaints and other human resources issues that may emerge.
- All reports, databases, best practice documents and other related information is the sole property of OHF and may not be distributed.
- Final Deliverables:
Deadlines for submission
|Initial plan||Travel and logistics arrangements, detailed timeline of work and data transmission protocols.||To be submitted with the technical offer, then regularly updated||Plan must be agreed upon with OHF|
|Assessment Plan||Assessment plan should be conducted for the 36 CSOs analysis of the results of the Organisational Capacity Assessments (OCA) and the applied the Organisational Performance Index (OPI) with each participating 36 CSOs by OHF – ILDD team||No later than one week one week of contract award||Plan must be agreed upon with OHF|
|Meetings and discussions with CSOs||Consultant should conduct meetings and discussions with CSOs in order to analyze the findings and the results of the OCA and OPI||Within 2 weeks after submitting the assessment plan||Consultant should take care of the culture differences in the field|
|A first draft of the detailed report with the findings of the assessment plan||The consultant has to submit a detailed report with the results of the assessment that was conducted at the 36 CSOs and it should include the current ranking of each CSO based on the criteria of the OPI document that will be shared with the consultant by OHF team||Within 1 week after completing the assessment meetings with the CSOs||OHF should receive the first draft to review|
|Submit the final report||The consultant should submit the final report based on the comments and the recommendations of OHF team||Within 1 week from submitting the draft|
|Draft of the recommended system including a list of all the policies, procedures, and forms||The consultant should submit a draft of the recommended system that should be established in the CSOs in order to strengthen their capacity based on the criteria of the OPI document that will be shared with the consultant by OHF team||Within 1 week from submitting the detailed report||
This system has to enable the CSOs to reach level 4 according to the OPI document.
OHF team will review the draft and will share with their comments and recommendations
|The first draft of the developed system including all the policies, procedures, and forms||The consultant should submit the final draft of the system including all the policies, procedures, and forms, as it is mentioned in detail in the scope of work “6”, that should be established in the CSOs to strengthen their capacity based on the criteria of the OPI document that will be shared with the consultant by OHF team||Within 2 weeks from submitting the draft of the system||
This system must enable the CSOs to reach level 4 according to the OPI document.
OHF team will review the draft and will share with their comments and recommendations
The final version of the developed system
|The consultant should submit the final developed system, as it is mentioned in detail in the scope of work “6”, and based on the comments and the recommendations based on the comments and the recommendations of OHF team||Within 1 week from submitting the first draft|
|Final consultancy report in English||Final report addressing all the steps of the whole consultancy mission||Within 1 week after the completion of the system||Draft report is to be reviewed by OHF and final report is to be submitted based on comments|
Note: All the required deliverables should be submitted as hard copy and soft copy (in word doc. /excel)
- Quality Assurance of the Deliverables:
- The service provider is responsible for ensuring regular communication, coordination, and technical support to field staff.
- The service provider will ensure that all deliverables are submitted in a timely manner.
- The reports should meet quality standards.
- Deliverables will be used as the basis for invoice processing and payment. The service provider will be held responsible for all the deliverables.
- Payments will be made within 15 days upon the approval of the corresponding deliverables.
- If the deliverables are not produced and delivered by the consultant to the satisfaction of OHF team, no payment will be made till the consultant update and modify the deliverables based on OHF requirements.
|Signing the contract||Submitting all the needed legal documents||25% after signing the contract|
|Build a lasting infrastructure in the CSOs||Submitting the final version of the developed system including all the policies, procedures, and forms||
50 % of the total contact
|Documenting the whole process of strengthening the capacity of the CSOs||Submitting the Final consultancy report of the whole mission||
25% of the total contact
- Time Frame:
10 weeks starting from the date of signing the contract.
- Required qualifications:
- The consultant (and his/her team) should demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience in the Capacity Development/Assessment Activities for Public Sector and and/or international organizations and conducting Needs Analysis.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience working with Civil Society Organizations in Upper Egypt.
- Excellent analytical skills particularly with social processes.
- Good communication and drafting skills.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability. Demonstrates Integrity and ethical standards.
- Documentation Required
- Personal CV indicating all past experiences from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least 3 professional references.
- Service Provider Selection Criteria
- Proposals will be evaluated out of a total 100 points, with 70 points allocated against technical criteria, and 30 points allocated against financial criteria. Any bidder with an incomplete proposal will be disqualified.
The technical and financial evaluation of the bidders will be conducted using below criteria:
|Technical Criteria||Technical Sub-Criteria||Maximum Points|
|Overall Response||Completeness of response||5|
|Overall concord between Request for proposal requirements, meetings with project team and proposal||5|
|Company and Key Personnel (Range and depth of experience with similar projects||Civil Society Organizations experience||10|
|Relevant work experience in upper Egypt (i.e., environment, and gender)||5|
|Proposed Project Methodology and Approach||Project plan clearly described-comprising clearly defined tasks, activities, milestones, and personnel deployment plan||10|
|Understanding of approach and information needs||10|
|The criteria of the developed system including its policies and procedures||10|
|Efficiency of resource deployment||10|
|Subtotal Technical Criteria||70|
|Total||Technical + Financial Criteria||100|
- Inquiries meeting:
An inquiring meeting will hold at 18th May at 1.00 : 2.00 Pm, according to the written questions you will send before to the contacts mentioned Above, the meeting will be online by invitation will be sent for who interested to join.
Deadline for offer submission